Protecting your device
Questions about Nuisance calls and texts
How can I spot a phishing scam?
Phishing isn't always easy to identify. Look out for things like:
- Poor spelling - those committing scams often have weak English language skills
- Who the email is 'From' – the sender's address will usually look very different from what you'd expect
- Requests to act fast - you'll often be urged to take action immediately, otherwise your account will be suspended
- Non-personal address - the scammer probably doesn't know you by name, so they'll address you as 'Dear sir/madam' or similar
- The address of the link in the email - check to see it looks genuine, and doesn't contain extra characters or letters substituted by numbers
- Unexpected email - try to think if there's a good reason for this business to be contacting you.